Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford City

+11
Marc Monitor
Luton Roman
comrade powell
SteveBradley
BenE
striped67
OliverH
Roman Mike
Steve Whites Missus
Sir Ged Roddy
2weirdtown
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oxford City Empty Oxford City

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:44 pm

Our next home league game is against Oxford City. They have some run-up to this game (my info is from Vanarama website) :-
Tonight away to Sutton
Sat away v Ebbsfleet
Tues 10th home v Havant
Both midweek games are the only midweek Conf South games at all for those weeks. I don't think they're playing cup game catch up. Have they annoyed someone? Suits us of course.

Looking at Oxford's website, seems the 'club' is some sort of multinational sports conglomerate. Or at least that's the way it appears. I suspect someone with big ideas behind it all. Below is reproduced from their website and sounds to me like the type of cliched corporate nonsense that would be anaethma to a community club. Yet the club are listed as an FA Charter Standard Community Club.

"Oxford City Football Club, Inc. (Stock Symbol: OXFC) is the largest publicly traded diversified portfolio of professional sports teams in the world. Oxford City owns a 131-year-old professional football club Oxford City FC, which plays in the Conference North Division of the English Football Association. They also own Oxford City Nomads, which plays in the Hellenic League Premier Division of the English Football Association. Oxford City owns Oxford City Futsal, which plays at the highest level of Futsal in England and has one of the best teams in the UK.
The company is strategically positioned to implement their vertical integration model incorporating all their divisions towards future growth. The company also owns a diversified portfolio of academic institutions. Oxford City owns Oxford City University and Oxford City Sports College in the United States, which expects to have its first brick and mortar campus in the United States in South Florida in the near future and expects the strong ties in Oxford to strategically put the University in a tremendous position for the future. This diversified portfolio of companies has established a solid core foundation, which we hope will allow the company to have a multitude of revenue streams in the future."

The club president is Thomas Guerriero (El Presidente?) Head coach and a number of players are Spanish. English contingent includes Paul Stonehouse.
Interesting.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Oxford City Empty Re: Oxford City

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:05 pm

"cliched corporate nonsense"; absolutely right, it's balderdash.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:27 am

Team Oxford?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 am

They must be a Community club because they play at the Community Arena.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 am

It seems like they have essentially bought those clubs in order to serve as ongoing sports management test labs for an American university - making the clubs viable by charging shedloads in tuition fees to students!

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/oxford-city-football-club-otcqboxfc-is-focused-on-progressing-its-masters-degree-program-and-is-hopeful-the-endeavor-will-generate-99-million-in-revenue-for-the-company-300066646.html

EDIT: "Oxford City University" reminds me of the "Buckingham College of English" / "Royal Queen's Harry Potter Institute of Education" TEFL colleges you get on Oxford St in London
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by striped67 Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:24 pm

It didn't take long on Google to uncover this report: http://www.theexaminer.com/stories/news/thomas-anthony-guerriero-brings-big-talk-bad-track-record-beaumont-indoor-soccer. I'd be a bit worried if I was an Oxford City supporter.
striped67
striped67

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Wow - that picture says it all.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:17 pm

I have to say it all looks well dodgy to me.  With the football club just being a part of a broader organisation I suspect their financial set up is rather 'complicated' or perhaps 'Labrynthine'.  
I wonder if the league have managed to get a realistic idea of their finances?
May explain why they're having to play 2 games a week.  Get their season over before they can go into the inevitable administration!
scratch
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

striped67 wrote:It didn't take long on Google to uncover this report: http://www.theexaminer.com/stories/news/thomas-anthony-guerriero-brings-big-talk-bad-track-record-beaumont-indoor-soccer. I'd be a bit worried if I was an Oxford City supporter.

Bit worried????

Demonstrates the dangers facing every football club. Unfortunately there are people everywhere prepared to be duped by fantasists like this. In a sane world the man would be a street cleaner.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

BenE wrote:
striped67 wrote:It didn't take long on Google to uncover this report: http://www.theexaminer.com/stories/news/thomas-anthony-guerriero-brings-big-talk-bad-track-record-beaumont-indoor-soccer. I'd be a bit worried if I was an Oxford City supporter.

Bit worried????

Demonstrates the dangers facing every football club. Unfortunately there are people everywhere prepared to be duped by fantasists like this. In a sane world the man would be a street cleaner.

That's very unfair on street cleaners, who work hard and with some pride to keep things tidy.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by striped67 Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:12 am

BenE wrote:Bit worried????

I could be understating it slightly... Very Happy Hopefully for them he lets them get on with the football and doesn't leave them in too much debt. It seems like he is only after the Oxford name so that he can big up his dealings in the US.
striped67
striped67

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:56 pm

That guy is so ridiculously over the top in the quality of bullsh!t he serves up that it's difficult not be impressed by him.

Utterly amazing that he gets away with it. If I was one of Oxford City's small band of supporters, I'd be very worried.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:08 am

There is more on the Conf South Forum about him http://conferencesouthnomads.freeforums.org/ in particular a link to 'Business Insider'. However, I don't know how reliable or truthful Business Insider is.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:41 am

Perhaps we should be more concerned about the future of our own club than what is apparently happening elsewhere.

As for the Conf South forum thread quoted, a bit rich of the Sutton fan to be moaning about Oxford's gamesmanship after his team's antics at Twerton...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Yep, win Saturday and we go 3rd with others in Cup action.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:24 pm

SteveBradley wrote:

That guy is so ridiculously over the top in the quality of bullsh!t he serves up that it's difficult not be impressed by him.

Utterly amazing that he gets away with it. If I was one of Oxford City's small band of supporters, I'd be very worried.

One of those supporters is, like me, a post-Vincent Tan Cardiff refusenik so, compared to Tan, Peter Ridsdale and Sam Hammam, this guy is small fry. The issue is, as always, if anyone is using assets particularly, of course, any ground as security against loans especially those for outside the club. It doesn't look as though this guy is doing that as yet.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Park Magic Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:28 pm

Went to Google to visit the Oxford City FC web-site and it was showing a warning 'This site may harm your computer'. Odd.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Yep, win Saturday and we go 3rd with others in Cup action.

I would rather still be in the cup and risk going down 3 places because we didn't have a league game.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:15 pm

Yep me too (esp with the comprehensive TV coverage) but we're not so lets get on with it and take the next best thing for now.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Bish not got a good home record recently. I think City have too much for them and will pick up 3 points.
Real test of the season will come Sat week against the subject of this thread.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:50 am

Luton Roman wrote:Yep me too (esp with the comprehensive TV coverage) but we're not so lets get on with it and take the next best thing for now.
Yes Gerry, not long to wait until the Somerset Premier Cup! See you tomorrow?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:07 am

Yep, I'll be there, heading to Nags Head before?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Sepp Blatter to invest?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:17 pm

Some things in football are entirely predictable...
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next