Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol City friendly

+8
Manchester Romans
yuffie
comrade powell
BenE
Luton Roman
2weirdtown
Steve Whites Missus
sned
12 posters

Go down

Bristol City friendly Empty Bristol City friendly

Post by sned Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:06 pm

Bristol City's Jojo Wollacott in goal for the Romans.

Just a chance for him to get a game or will we have a sub goalie this season?!

sned

Back to top Go down

Bristol City friendly Empty Re: Bristol City friendly

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Hush on the bench interestingly. Sign him on!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Who?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Huth (auto correct nightmare)

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:59 pm

2 mins after tuning in to BCIR and Artus picks up a serious injury. I'm feeling like a jinx!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Chance for Diallo then. Huth using us a window?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:49 pm

sounds as though Huth had a poor game so perhaps he'll have to make do with signing for us!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:19 pm

Huth was poor. Man Mountain deservedly MOM. Chas played well. It looked like an arm injury to Frankie. Hope it is a dislocation but he took it like a man, when players were avoiding looking.

Fleetwood is rapidly disappearing down a plug hole. Difficult to see how he will step up his game. Marvin was a lot better but it will take time for him to get an understanding with Watkin or McCootie.

Rigg took a knock as well but I think less serious.

Their/our goalie looked very accomplished but Phillips pulled off a couple of good saves too.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:21 pm

While it's probably wishful thinking, I hope the final friendly on Friday is used as proper preparation for the league opener at Margate. In other words, no triallists or opponents' keeper getting game time, just those who are signed on.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:05 pm

I guess the Artus injury might muddy the water a bit in making any final decisions before Friday.

Having seen all the friendlies apart from Shortwood and, as I'm not going to Torquay, I think my overall thoughts on pre-season is that we should ask to be transferred to the Scottish Premier Division.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:52 am

That would certainly be an interesting extension of the annual debate about moving to National North!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am

Appears Frankie has a dislocation - is that better than a break in terms of healing?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

Yeh, quick reset, couple of paracetamols and play on
Smile
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Sounds like a very unpleasant injury - let's hope we see him playing again asap.

http://www.joint-pain-expert.net/elbow-dislocation.html

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Appears Frankie has a dislocation - is that better than a break in terms of healing?
It depends whether it was a partial or complete dislocation, but his arm will probably be in plaster for 2-3 weeks, so he'll definitely miss the first 4-5 games. At least it wasn't a dislocated ankle!

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:43 pm

Frankie Artus' injury is a big blow as GO has publically stated that he is his top player in midfield and he was looking so much fitter than last season and much more effective in his more central role. Expect Naby Diallo could be given a month or two with the club now as he is available and a pretty good player at Conference South level but nonetheless the Artus injury is something GO really did not want.

Impressed with Marvin Morgan up front - his size and his flick ons are a big plus - and once he gets match fit he will surely be the No1 striker with either Watkins or McCootie playing off him but again as BenE has said earlier in this thread, Fleetwood just doesn't look at the races at all and the most worrying thing is that he seems to be getting less effective not better......very puzzling for a good player who was so sharp and a top natural goal scorer a few years back??

Monie Monthe also impressed and possibly looks better at left back when he switched in the 2nd half, showing some serious pace on the overlap. Maybe worth trying Dan Ball in his preferred position next to Batten and swapping them around as it gives us a much sharper attacking edge down the left hand side.

Anyway, another good workout against a very fit full time side and to me the squad seems to be taking shape quite nicely now.....lets hope my eyes are not deceiving me!! Shocked
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:28 am

cannonball wrote:.....lets hope my eyes are not deceiving me!! Shocked

Your observations are always perceptive. study

I would like to try Nick alongside Marvin with Andy playing either a wide role or the no.10; the options for formations with the players we have are limitless. Clearly with the height and pace in the squad we ought to be a threat in any offensive play but why aren't we scoring goals?

Stuart, at his age and after a long lay off, may take some time to get fit but hopefully will regain the edge he used to have.

The loss of Frankie is a blow but the squad looks to have strength in depth; GO has made some shrewd managerial decisions.

Any news on Dan Bowman signing?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:29 am

comrade powell wrote:While it's probably wishful thinking, I hope the final friendly on Friday is used as proper preparation for the league opener at Margate. In other words, no triallists or opponents' keeper getting game time, just those who are signed on.

I agree with the premise that we should be playing our first XI / signed on players in friendlies by now to build the understandings etc.
I think that is what happened v Bristol City and so no reason to think that it won't v Torquay.

All the traillists were on the bench for the 1st half.
All 10 outfielders in the 1st half were signed on players.
Murphy was missing (injured) and the other 3 signed on players on the bench (of 11), Phillips, Fleetwood and Hutchison came on either at HT or early in the 2nd half.
Bowman who is a likely signing (I hope) came on at RB initially early in the 2nd half and then went into midfield when Rigg came off (precaution?) and Pierce Mitchell went to RB.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 am

2weirdtown wrote:Yeh, quick reset, couple of paracetamols and play on
Smile

Run it off, son.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks for that summary, Roman Mike. You didn't mention the Bristol keeper in goal for us first half, but I don't suppose it's necessary for Phillips to play in every game. However, who is our back up in this position? The traiallists I was referring to were Huth and Diallo who came on after ht. I've no problem with them appearing at Torquay if there is a strong likelihood that they will also be at Margate - if not, their place should be taken by those who will.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 am

comrade powell wrote:Thanks for that summary, Roman Mike. You didn't mention the Bristol keeper in goal for us first half, but I don't suppose it's necessary for Phillips to play in every game. However, who is our back up in this position? The traiallists I was referring to were Huth and Diallo who came on after ht. I've no problem with them appearing at Torquay if there is a strong likelihood that they will also be at Margate - if not, their place should be taken by those who will.

Re. GK: I'm not sure we have ever have back-up really - but I may be mistaken. I am vaguely we have had some dual registration options but then we have taken loan keepers in the past, when necessary.

As regards, the other 'bench warmers' who are not signed on yet, I think they fall into 3 categories. I have no factual basis for this or inside knowledge and it assumes that GO still has some playing budget left unspent.

Category 1: Probables:
Would sign or have been offered a contract:
e.g. Dan Bowman

Category 2: Possibles:
Still unsure or need to prove themselves:
Pierce Mitchell, Eilan Gordan, Zack Kotwica, Andrew Elcock

Category 3: Long shots:
Could maybe play at a (slightly) higher level but currently don't have a club. So we gamble on them not getting a club and pick them up at a reduced rate.
Shaquille Hunter, Ronald Huth, Naby Diallo.

So, in essence, I think I agree with you re. Huth and Diallo but the clock is ticking for them and their alternative options reduce each day that passes.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:03 am

Category 2: Possibles:
Still unsure or need to prove themselves:
Pierce Mitchell, Eilan Gordan, Zack Kotwica, Andrew Elcock

Who are they? I assumed they were youngsters involved with the academy/under 21s who we only see (well I don't!) during pre-season and the Somerset Cup.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:55 pm

I do not think any are academy. They are triallists. GO seems to be having a good look at them with a view to signing some.

I think the chances of Diallo signing are significantly higher since Frankie's injury. Shaquille Hunter comes with a reputation but he looks keen to impress so I wouldn't hold that against him. If we brought in Huth he would surely expect to play and I think would unbalance the squad.

We definitely need a right back and Mitchell is one whereas Bowman is more of a wingback.

I thought Kotwice Gordon and Elcock showed ability but whether it would translate to league games I don't know.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Pierce Mitchell: Started with Rovers youth (where we had him on loan for a small spell), and has also been at WsM and Truro.

Zack Kotwica: Played a fair few first team games for Cheltenham over the last three years, and at one point attracted interest from a couple of Premiership sides, West Ham included. Has also played for Gloucester, and most recently Cirencester.

Andrew Elcock: One-time Plymouth youth. I think he's most recently been playing for Launceston, but GO knows him from his days with The Pilgrims. May also have played for Brislington.

Eilan Gordan: No idea. Looks very young.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down