Bored already!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bored already!

Post by comrade powell on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:45 pm

comrade powell wrote:So England's reward for scoring a grand total of one goal against Russia and Slovakia (who between then conceded 5 to Wales) is to end up in the same half of the draw as Germany, Italy, Spain and France!

Apologies, Iceland, I should have included you in my list. Still, I was correct about the useless Hart....
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:00 am

I see the BBC correspondent gave each of the team 4.

That is apart from Rashford, who he suggested might be England MOM for his 4 + 3 minutes.

I suspect a lot of flags will be disappearing today. We can return to being "bored"

Colin Voutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 am

Presumably that score was 4 out of 100. Or in the case of the laughably bad Rooney did it refer to the number of accurate passes he made?
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:37 pm

The Times scored each player 0/10. Generous Id say. Media having a field day, 'Hodgson, go in the name of Cod', before he quickly did. When did he write that script, on the plane on the way over?? As for no questions, newspaper deal?

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Agreed. I thought he was the best choice when he was appointed because of his international experience and despite the dreadful failure in Brazil, his qualifying record for this tournament was excellent. However, his failure to know what his best line up was and persist with it means he joins a long list of failures in the job.

I trust he has the sense not to follow this arrogant buffoon into media work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gC2JjatGwM

(do keep with it until the end - hilarious!)
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:27 pm

I think you are a bit harsh to single Rooney out for criticism. I thought all the outfield players were equally abysmal. Taking the forwards for instance. Sterling as usual ran around like a headless chicken which i suppose was preferable to Sturridge who didn't run around at all. Kane seems to have forgotten the technique of actually kicking and heading the ball correctly. And so on through the rest of the team. It never ceases to amaze me how many over hit crosses and skied shots we see from this England team. Do they ever practice such basic skills ?

Micawber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:04 pm

While I agree with your comments on the other players, I stand by my words on Rooney, who I thought despite some moments in earlier games, was abysmal last night. He clearly sees himself as the successor to Gerrard with those endless Hollywood passes, which are always overhit and to players who haven't got the basics to control the ball. The last thing England need now is a long drawn out Beckham-like saga about his eventual retirement from the national team - it should be now.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LB on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Some interesting names being put forward to replace Roy Hodgson, including Gareth Southgate (other than the under 21s, has no recent managerial experience), Gary Neville (wasn't he part of Roy Hodgson's coaching team?) and Glenn Hoddle (his ITV comments speak for themselves!).

Interesting to see who gets it (if anyone wants it!) but wonder if there will be some sort of 'caretaker' role with the World Cup qualifiers starting at the beginning of September.

LB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:38 pm

A36 wrote:Anyway, looking forward to going to a couple of knockout games this weekend, although slightly concerned that there may be one or two teams that see their best chance as being to play for the penalty shoot out.
Well, it turned out that there were a couple of teams that we saw that showed little adventure, I just hadn't anticipated that it would be Portugal and Croatia. It wasn't until Croatia brought on Marko Pjaca in the second half of extra time that either side looked likely to score, and it wasn't until a counter-attack from Portugal three minutes from the end of extra time that there was finally an attempt on target. On the other hand, the team I did expect to be playing for penalties was Slovakia who found themsleves in no position to when they were steam rollered by Germany. The bonus was that Germany didn't sit back on a lead at any stage, even late on in the second half, 3-0 up, Germany were still getting so far forward that Manuel Neuer was standing on the halfway line.

Anyway, regardless of the actual games, the whole experience was superb. For example, before heading to the stadium, we managed to watch some of the France v Republic of Ireland game in the fan park in Lille, where there seemed to be plenty of Belgians (not quite as many as previously in Lyon), one bunch of which were even joining in with singing La Marseillaise.

A36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 pm

Oh god, LB, that might open the door for someone like Redknapp! Some of the names being put forward are quite laughable, including those you mention. The successful applicant must surely have experience of managing at international tournaments plus an awareness of how limited our players are and the ridiculous demands of the Premier League. Billic?
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:10 pm

Yes Bilic has come across well but far too intelligent to take it on, and the FA risk appetite is minimal at best so taking on an EU national would have the blazers in uproar.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Martin O'Neill is the best man in my opinion, but be amazed if he takes it on.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:54 pm

O'Neil is a great manager but has he ever managed players with egos bigger than their ability? The ideal man would be Ferguson. Someone who will tell a player to cut out the shampoo ads and drop them if they take no notice.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm

Do you remember Fergie as Scotland manager?

Great discussion on Radio 5 tonight, including Waddle and Murphy. Their derision after listening to one of the FA suits charged with finding the next bloke was priceless.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:10 pm

Next England manager.....Tommy Saunders..........I'm telling you Brian.
I'm still in France even those overpaid winkers have left their expensive hotels and returned to Blighty.
Good craic here. We left the EU. We left Euro 2016. But they still want us here!
Can't wait for the start of proper football again at the Azteca Twerton.
kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:33 pm

comrade powell wrote:Do you remember Fergie as Scotland manager?.  

No before my time
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top