Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (1)2 Margate (0)0

+6
Peter Newman
the demon headmaster
Steve Whites Missus
Sir Ged Roddy
comrade powell
Kelston Koppite
10 posters

Go down

Bath City (1)2  Margate (0)0 Empty Bath City (1)2 Margate (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:01 pm

A goal in each half secured victory for Bath City against Margate to ensure a mid-table position at the end of a season that initially promised so much, but descended rapidly into a downward spiral during the dark winter months. The visitors from Kent entered the game needing all three points to be sure of avoiding relegation but, despite their eventual defeat, other results proved to be their salvation on a dramatic afternoon.

With the hosts having little to play for, other than pride and league position, it was understandable that Margate began the game the brighter of the sides and made all the early running. In the very first minute, fullback Nathan Green tried his luck from distance, but his effort comfortably cleared Steve Phillips’ crossbar. Luke Moore then volleyed wide from the edge of the box after a long throw in by David Hunt was only partially cleared by Chas Hemmings.

City responded with a neat move out on the left between Dave Pratt and Andy Watkins in the 8th minute. The latter crossed towards Nick McCootie, but the ball was slightly too high for the striker, and he was unable to direct his header on target.

There ensued a prolonged spell of midfield stalemate with the only threat coming from Hunt’s numerous ‘exocet’ style throw-ins that were well dealt with admirably by Hemmings and Dan Ball at the heart of the home defence.

It was not until the half hour mark that Margate created another opening, but Moore’s shot from outside the box was well wide of Phillips’ post. Hunt delivered an angled free kick into the danger area from the right on 34 minutes, which was met with Glen Wilson’s diving header that flew wide of the near post.

Lewis Taylor was also wide with a volley from 25 yards, but the hosts suddenly sprang into life as the interval approached. Pratt burst clear down the inside right channel and his cross was blocked by a defender with the referee, Mr. Gary Parsons, waving away hopeful penalty appeals from the home faithful. City then took the lead after 45 minutes when Pratt again found space on the right but, this time, he picked out McCootie who directed his angled shot into the far corner of the net beyond Chris Lewington’s despairing dive.

The Gate emerged after the break with increased urgency, and had an excellent chance to restore parity on 48 minutes. A cross from the right eventually fell to unmarked centre back Charlie Wassmer in front of goal, but his low shot was well saved by Phillips.

The earlier warm spring sunshine had now given way to hailstones and an increasingly strong breeze and, as Margate pushed more men forward, Liam Kelly volleyed wide of Lewington’s post in the 54th minute.

With the visitors now looking the more likely to add to the score line, Wilson headed straight at Phillips following a right wing corner kick and, on the hour mark, Danny Green’s audacious back-heeled effort was narrowly wide of Phillips’ near post.

The weather had now deteriorated further with vivid flashes of forked lightning and violent claps of thunder providing the backdrop to proceedings. Despite the conditions, City were now beginning to gain the ascendancy and Margate were being forced to defend more deeply. Kelly’s curling free kick from the left on 65 minutes found Frankie Artus, but his flicked header was wide of the far post, and the Reading loanee then released McCootie with a slide rule through ball, only for the eventual shot to roll across the face of goal after beating the advancing Lewington.

Josh Hutchinson replaced Pratt after 73 minutes to provide fresh legs, but the visitors who were now posing the greater threat up front. Matthew Johnson twice had presentable opportunities but, firstly he poked a shot wide from inside the area, and then he fired a low angled drive wide of the far post when in a good position.

City finally made Margate pay for their profligacy nine minutes from time when Kelly crossed from the right at the second attempt, and Watkins found the back of the net with a neat glancing header.

Ashley Kington and Louis Perry were introduced for Billy Murphy and Watkins respectively, as Gary Owers looked to see out the remaining minutes. However, there was no need for concern as news appeared to filter through that the away side were safe due to events elsewhere, and there was the bizarre spectacle of a team two goals in arrears reverting to a five man back-line and holding the ball up in the corners.

Unsurprisingly, despite four minutes of added time, there was no more goalmouth action worthy of mention, and Margate were able to celebrate as the full time whistle blew under, once again, blue skies and bright sunshine.

With their National League South status already assured for next season this was never going to be a sparking City performance, but they did give their visitors a lesson in making the most of their chances, scoring two very well taken goals in the process. Margate, despite their defeat and forward failings, ended the afternoon with a favourable outcome and rightly enjoyed their survival with their supporters who had travelled in numbers.

As for the home side, the Twerton Park weather somehow contrived to sum up their season perfectly. Sunny at either end, with a prolonged period of tempest and turmoil sandwiched between.

Bath City: Steve Phillips; Dan Bowman, Andy Gallinagh, Dan Ball, Chas Hemmings, Billy Murphy (Ashley Kington 82), Frankie Artus, Liam Kelly, Dave Pratt (Josh Hutchinson 73), Nick McCootie, Andy Watkins (Louis Perry 85). Subs not used: Brad Williams, Ryan Bole.

Margate: Chris Lewington; David Hunt, Nathan Green, Kane Wills (Jake Goodman 74), Charlie Wassmer, Glen Wilson, Lewis Taylor, Luke Moore, Matthew Johnson, Christian Jolley, Danny Green. Subs not used: Harry Phipps, Corie Andrews, Seb Rowland, Mitchell Laing.

Referee: Mr. Gary Parsons.

Attendance: 695.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (1)2  Margate (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (1)2 Margate (0)0

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:12 pm

10/10 for the last paragraph!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:15 pm

comrade powell wrote:10/10 for the last paragraph!

Thank you!
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:38 pm

comrade powell wrote:10/10 for the last paragraph!
I'd award 11/10! Thanks again.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Our revels now are ended

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:33 pm

Pure poetry!

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun May 01, 2016 9:47 am

Another quality and fair assessment of the game (as usual).

I am sure your efforts are appreciated by all supporters.

As a matter of interest we finished 14th this season that is the same as 2014/15. Also both seasons with 53 points although there were 2 games fewer in 2014/5

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun May 01, 2016 10:19 am

Peter Newman wrote:Another quality and fair assessment of the game (as usual).

I am sure your efforts are appreciated by all supporters.

As a matter of interest we finished 14th this season that is the same as 2014/15. Also both seasons  with 53 points although there were 2 games fewer in 2014/5

Thanks Peter.

I am glad if my reports are useful, particularly for those who cannot get to the games. I must admit that, with the mid-season form and succession of defeats, it has been difficult to write the reports at times. However, it is heartening that things have taken an upturn over recent months and report writing has therefore become a much more enjoyable pastime again.

I hope that all City supporters have a well earned summer break, with batteries certainly needing to be recharged ahead of next season!

Kev.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun May 01, 2016 1:10 pm

If you have time to spare Havant forum worth a read. What might have been for us. From Liverpool to Leamington or wherever. 6 pages so far of passion.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun May 01, 2016 1:51 pm

More like 6 pages of infighting! And I wouldn't recommend anyone reads the comments from their media guy on the moderator free National South forum - for a fee, Yuffie, I won't send him your address... Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun May 01, 2016 2:07 pm

comrade powell wrote:More like 6 pages of infighting! And I wouldn't recommend anyone reads the comments from their media guy on the moderator free National South forum - for a fee, Yuffie, I won't send him your address... Very Happy
He seams to be quite fond of our Yuffie!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun May 01, 2016 5:35 pm

The feelings mutual.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun May 01, 2016 6:11 pm

To be fair, the bloke has since apologised. (I mean the Havant bloke, not Yuffie!)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun May 01, 2016 6:46 pm

I was thinking it was quite an interesting way to end up in mid-table obscurity.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 pm

comrade powell wrote:To be fair, the bloke has since apologised. (I mean the Havant bloke, not Yuffie!)

I got the impression the apology was more because of the tone rather than the actual sentiment!

However, I have been called worse* so wasn't offended.

And at the risk of seeming obsessed with Havant their manager's interview is interesting where he seems to take virtually no responsibility for their relegation at all.

*At Sutton to my face this season for example.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down