Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hayes away

+9
BenE
yuffie
2weirdtown
Marc Monitor
Elmore James
the demon headmaster
stillmanjunior
Luton Roman
kermit
13 posters

Go down

Hayes away Empty Hayes away

Post by kermit Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm

It's almost 19 years to the day (26 April 1997) since we won 1-0 at Hayes with a Graham Colbourne goal to keep our Vauxhall Conference hopes alive......just......in front of a crowd of 1183. Can't see that attendance being bettered tomorrow!
Of course we ultimately went down even though we beat Northwich Victoria 3-2 in our final game. It still haunts me when I think back to everyone standing sitting on the pitch at Twerton waiting for the other results to come in.......bloody Halifax.
Anyway, a similar result tomorrow will make things look much better.
If you are wavering about going up to Maidenhead.....don't. We need all the support we can get.
See you all tomorrow.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Hayes away Empty Re: Hayes away

Post by Luton Roman Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:28 pm

I was at both of those and Luton branch will be there in force tomorrow. Allez les er rouge demain?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:16 pm

kermit wrote:It's almost 19 years to the day (26 April 1997) since we won 1-0 at Hayes with a Graham Colbourne goal to keep our Vauxhall Conference hopes alive......just......in front of a crowd of 1183. Can't see that attendance being bettered tomorrow!
Of course we ultimately went down even though we beat Northwich Victoria 3-2 in our final game. It still haunts me when I think back to everyone standing sitting on the pitch at Twerton waiting for the other results to come in.......bloody Halifax.
Anyway, a similar result tomorrow will make things look much better.
If you are wavering about going up to Maidenhead.....don't. We need all the support we can get.
See you all tomorrow.

Worryingly we were relegated with 47 points that season as well...

Stuart James was sent off.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 am

Well said Rob. I shall be there.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 am

The greatest save I've ever seen by a City keeper that day

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:46 am

Yep Hervin was like a cat.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:42 pm

http://www.hayesandyeadingunited.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2853&start=45#p31971
Highlights on Hayes forum.

After dreary tense first half the sun came out to illuminate Citys survival in the National South. City created more and deserved the win, could have been 4 or 5 in the end, a great Nick McCootie goal, power and finish like we know he can do. Hints from the boss in after match interview he needs to apply himself more. So the rollercoaster finally ends and we can look forward to an interesting recruitment exercise in the summer with surely many changes in the squad. Great support today and plenty of noise.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:12 am

I don't know with Nick - he obviously has very dodgy hamstrings and is understandably precious about them. He can play a good game but I think Owers is wrong. I think McCootie is applying himself as much as he can, I just don't think that he is up to this division. It would be nice to be proved wrong in this respect as he seems like an honest enough player.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:42 am

Yes, he always gives a committed performance when he plays - as the number of free kicks he concedes will testify. His goal against N Ferriby was up there with the best but he definitely has a problem with those strings and he ain't no spring chicken is he(?)
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:12 pm

He's only 26 which is often the peak period for a footballer.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:18 pm

I think pre-season and the last couple of games he has looked fully fit and perfectly capable of being a very good player at this level. His goal yesterday showcased his ability perfectly, strength to hold off a defender and a great finish. And the Ferriby goal at TP (with one exception) was as good as any scored in the last two seasons.

I'd be more than happy if he is retained alongside Pratt and Watkins.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 pm

yuffie wrote:I think pre-season and the last couple of games he has looked fully fit and perfectly capable of being a very good player at this level. His goal yesterday showcased his ability perfectly, strength to hold off a defender and a great finish. And the Ferriby goal at TP (with one exception) was as good as any scored in the last two seasons.

you are very kindly - has he really done enough in two seasons to justify the view that we are going to get more that a handful of decent performances from him a season? or indeed goals. His first touch is appalling and quite frankly if our players were on the end of some of his challenges we'd all be baying for him to be sent off.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:39 pm

I would like to keep him and see what Owers' coaching can do to improve his mentioned weak areas.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm

yuffie wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if all three are released.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:32 pm

I really think that his reinvigorated form the last few games has been looking toward contract renewal.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:37 pm

comrade powell wrote:
yuffie wrote:

I think you could probably say that about every single current player, possibly with the exception of Frankie Artus and Steve Phillips, if Gary stays on.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:41 pm

I would be amazed if Ball, Bowman, Hemmings and, perhaps, Batten go.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:20 pm

I guess in part it depends on who he can entice to Twerton. Despite Dave Pratts relatively poor goal return his contribution was in evidence yesterday with the first 2 goals and a cameo of his season. Owers has been an admirer in post match comments. As well it could be the striker asking for a more supportive midfield next season !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:04 am

Marc Monitor wrote:I would be amazed if Ball, Bowman, Hemmings and, perhaps, Batten go.

Yes, I agree that Hemmings is another one that would be a surprise. Batten I think will depend on whether he can find another club at a higher level and Bowman on whether he stays in this area after finishing his University course.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:08 pm

comrade powell wrote:
yuffie wrote:

I'm with comrade. Did I read that that was McCootie's first goal since Jan?
We need a finisher. At least one of them will need to make way, possibly two. Not clinical enough.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Hayes away Empty Assessment

Post by pete mac Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:58 am

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down