Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch out - Basingstoke mean business!

+3
turnstyle13
Sir Ged Roddy
comrade powell
7 posters

Go down

Watch out - Basingstoke mean business! Empty Watch out - Basingstoke mean business!

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Watch out - Basingstoke mean business! Empty Re: Watch out - Basingstoke mean business!

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:13 pm

When will Basingstoke go bust?

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Watch out - Basingstoke mean business! Empty Re: Watch out - Basingstoke mean business!

Post by turnstyle13 Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Really?????
A quick look at their match stats shows an average home gate of 511. So that generates, if one factors in bar takings and other sponsors money, revenue of say £6500/match, and with a match every other week then a weekly income of £3250.
If, as they seem to be, destined to go down, then that average gate will probably reduce, so that revenue might be say £3K/wk, which if then distributed across a squad of 16 is less than £200/wk.
If they are full time then depending on what 'full time' means is something in the region of £6-5.50/hr which is less than the minimum wage.
And that's before you factor in having to accommodate national insurance contributions and tax.

So either Basingstoke have struck oil or their accountants work for HM Treasury.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:40 pm

I think they missed April Fools
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Is does mention youngsters who have been released. Maybe the £200 calculated is enough and they are hoping to make money by selling on.
If they have a good coach and are not too worried about league position... it could be a viable business plan........... or totally stupid.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:08 pm

Unless my ol' grey cells are letting me down, didn't this club gamble on another daft idea, a few years ago, of raising their admission prices to the alarming level of £13 (when others were at £10 at the most), in an attempt to raise more money - I believe it didn't last long as 'punters' dropped to below a level that proved the move to be disastrous.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

This makes interesting reading - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9930930/you-cant-win-anything-with-kids-premier-league-winners-rarely-feature-many-young-players - are there any stats at our level.  Watch out - Basingstoke mean business! Icon_scratch

I recall, as an 18 year old kid, playing against Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton or Gerry Sweeney in a Western League game being kicked, nudged or otherwise "fouled" covertly by one of them if I tried to hold the ball or make a move to create an attack;  I suspect more experienced players will do the same to a team of Basingstoke kids making it difficult to play.  

As with many clubs the financial affairs don't appear to make any sense and will probably end up being a shambles. 
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down