Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re old crown AGAIN.

+11
bone ash
davebart
Marc Monitor
City 'til we're relegated
SteveBradley
Steve Whites Missus
Dave
Elmore James
pete mac
Beau Nash
daz
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re old crown AGAIN. Empty Re: Re old crown AGAIN.

Post by Beau Nash Wed May 04, 2016 10:33 am

There are a number of issues here:

1.  FREE advertising by the Old Crown
2.  Club bar affected
3.  Sponsorship by a brewery

AND most importantly, for me: 

4. The censorship of posts in this forum
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am

With you all the way - daz and Beau. The Club bar is a direct money earner for the Club. 2 Palmers real ales in the bar is great.

People will go to pubs - march to the match is a case in point - but hopefully those pubs will support the Club!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 am

I think the club should look at why supporters don't drink in the club bars?
is it:
the service
the beers on offer
the prices
the atmosphere

with the club desperate to increase its revenue this has to be a must

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed May 04, 2016 12:30 pm

I'm really confused.

What is it that (edited) is VERY WORRIED about?
What obligation does any pub have to support us financially?
Despite your sentence, it does really seem like you're telling people not to use the Crown, are you and if so why exactly?

I briefly caught your post last night and my initial feeling before it vanished and I couldn't read it again, was that it sounded like something from the Godfather. Along the lines of "I paid them a visit", "I asked what they were going to do for us" etc. All very strange

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed May 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Hold on this is censorship and for that reason sucks.

Surely individuals can make up their own mind about where and what they do.  Is this forum an official outlet of Bath City Football Club?

Or based upon this comment....

someone WHO has said he WONT do nothing for bath City fc.

maybe they are actually willing to support the club?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm

I would suggest Palmers put on a tasting session in Charlies at the first home friendly or any other event that may be happening before then;  perhaps other breweries would like to be involved. 

I would like to try 200 and Tally Ho, cask / bottled beers which I don't think have featured in Charlies? I drink Old Crafty Hen 6.5% abv bottled 500ml which is priced at 3 for £5 or occasionally 4 for £6 from Tesco.  If Palmers don't supply what I like then don't expect me, or others who have different preferences to drink in the clubhouse.

The same goes for the Old Crown, if you want my custom, supply a beer I like at a price competitive with the supermarkets.  

I appreciate the cost implications for smaller outlets make it difficult to compete so there needs to be some other added value to attract custom.

Hiding the previous comments on this subject does "suck" and won't stop people from discussing it elsewhere.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed May 04, 2016 3:55 pm

I wasn't on the site over the Bank Holiday weekend, so all this is flying right over my head.

For the uninformed amongst us, can someone explain what has happened and what the issue is ? Thanks.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Wed May 04, 2016 5:58 pm

from what I can gather; (edited) is worried about the Godfather for using the Crown and a pint of palmers was involved too. No word of a horses head yet...

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 pm

I like beer but thought that I was the only one who can't stand Bath ales.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 pm

A couple of points here.

The initial post seemed very inflammatory and bordering on the defamatory with no real substantiation. Knowing (edited) as one of the most affable and diplomatic of people, I would be very surprised if he was allowing or happy with someone speaking up on his behalf. Even if a company is not putting money in now, that isn't to say they won't in the future so it is seems self-defeating to slag them off. It appears that the moderators had the same concerns.

Following on from this, the post said that the threads were being temporarily removed while they investigated it which seemed fair enough considering the content of the post. I hasn't been censored as such, certainly not yet so I don't think we are looking at human rights abuses just yet.

As far as the Old Crown is concerned, I found the landlord very friendly when I went in, we had a chat and he asked about what beer we served up at Twerton so I told him on the thread. As it goes, due to that thread, I have tried the Palmers Gold a couple of times at half-time and really enjoyed it so Palmers have got a convert for my half-time pint anyway.

As far as the club bar is concerned, some people like it and some people hate it. I like it as a half-time venue but I don't find the atmosphere very pub-like. As I say, other people like it. It is good that we have the choice. What the bar doesn't have is the same atmosphere as, for example, the Wealdstone one where many people don't bother with any other pubs before or after and just make that their destination. There are, I think, many reasons for this - the breaking up of the large space into smaller areas, the regular guest ales, the half-time drinks ordering system, the less stark lighting, the direct access from pitchside and the view of the pitch. Maybe some things to think about with the redevelopment if that area is being looked at. I am sure that more regular travellers have other clubhouses that stand out.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by davebart Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Both the original thread and Daz's comments have been removed.

Can people please calm down before this thread is locked and removed too. The forum does not allow certain types of posts. Please refer to the rules.

That is not censorship. It is the rules.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Original post aside (although I appreciate I may have perceived it differently than intended?) everyone seems calm, no need to close this one.

Was there a particular issue with the original Crown thread that broke forum rules? If letting regulars know through a convenient channel what ales are on is against the rules then presumably that'll be the case when landlords from away towns we're visiting do the same, as they often do on here. Otherwise I hope David is allowed to continue doing so next season as it's of interest to myself and many other City fans that just aren't going to use the clubhouse on matchdays no matter how much the disloyalty card is waved at us.

For me all there is to it is not wanting to spend my very limited beer tokens somewhere that I won't be relaxed and able to enjoy my time before and after matches. The clubhouse for me feels like a school dining hall and has sky sports super epl league etc on multiple tellies, so I spend my time where I'll enjoy it in the Crown, Charmbury and Oak. That's my preference, and while I'm not particularly keen on any of the Palmers ales I always get one (if it's on) whenever I'm in there for functions outside of match days. I'm fairly sure that's the same for most of the people I frequent the local boozers with and many others that use the Crown, leave them be, it's their choice Smile

The Crown has only been open again for a few weeks, I'm sure the landlord and staff are still settling in. I've only been in three times since the re-opening but David's been nothing but friendly and helpful to me and all of our group, from offering the BC1000 group a quiet room if needed for a meeting, allowing a few of us to film scenes their for a promotional video for the Bid, and dishing out a couple of trays of free drinks to supporters that agreed to come and be a part of other scenes shot outside of Charlie's on Saturday (if he hadn't I doubt we'd have been able to drag enough of them away for ten minutes so it was much appreciated). Hopefully these 'visits' haven't soured things for those of us that will be back in next season, and hopefully there's plenty of Palmers Gold in the pumps if I manage to get to the quiz Friday. Weddun cheers

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed May 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Is now the time to voice my proposal on banning supporters who wear toffs old stylee shirts to Twerton Park. ;-)

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 pm

I didn't realise David's original thread had been deleted as well, just daz's. Surely, there was nothing wrong with that thread? It has been tootling along in a pleasant benign fashion and, as I say, moved me to try Palmers at the clubhouse.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by bone ash Wed May 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Firstly, let me explain how the forum’s moderators operate. The three of us liaise on any contentious issues before deciding on what action to take – normally we would hope to reach a decision which all three of us agree on. Of course, it might not be possible for instant communication between us and it is normal practice for one of us to remove a thread or post until the others have seen it. These can easily be returned at a later time, even if some offending posts have been edited or removed.

When I read Daz’s post last night my immediate reaction was to check with Bob Chester. While accepting that much of what had been described was accurate, Bob explained that some facts were misrepresented. He didn’t want his name put to something that was not factually all correct, as parts of what happened were not mentioned in Daz’s post. For these reasons, Bob requested that the post be removed. Bob has subsequently spoken to Daz today and Daz fully understands Bob’s reasons for asking for the post to be removed.

Afterwards I posted the following on the forum...

A complaint was posted this evening concerning the Old Crown thread. The moderators have temporarily removed both threads while it is decided what should be done.

This ‘childish’ move was nothing to do with censorship and as it makes clear at the very top of this page, this is an unofficial Bath City forum. Those of you who read the initial post last night would surely agree that it would not have been well received by the landlord of the Old Crown. As Bob Chester has mentioned to me, the club needs to have good relations with all its neighbours.

But I must say that having read Daz’s initial post last night and his comments above, he is making some fair points about the Old Crown thread. As was mentioned in one post...

a senior person at Palmers is a long-time City supporter and so there's been a long-term relationship between the brewery and the club.

and obviously the club wish to maintain these good relations with the brewery as it is such an excellent supporter of the club.

One of the moderators is presently in Japan while the other has only contacted me late this afternoon. Until we have discussed this issue, no decision will be made about the two threads. To answer the point raised by Marc in the past half hour about the removal of the Old Crown thread, we need to decide if the forum rule regarding advertising was broken.

If there are forum members unhappy with what has happened then they are very welcome to contact me via PM.

Thanks

bone ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Ah, I did wonder whether it may be that but, of course, hadn't got the original thread to refer back to. It didn't feel like spam to me but, even if it was, I am sure that Dave can post on here in a manner that isn't advertising while still welcoming home and away supporters (as Palms mentions, in the manner that away pubs often do on here).

I support all your moves, by the way. I wouldn't want to be a moderator. It isn't quite a thankless task but it's getting there.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed May 04, 2016 11:13 pm

methinks the silly season has started early this year
Rolling Eyes
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed May 04, 2016 11:37 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I support all your moves, by the way.

Good to see you being supportive of another man's dancing Marc Very Happy

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm

You know what us metrosexuals are like
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 05, 2016 1:29 pm

that would explain the dress sense.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Unfortunately, the opening post after redactions makes even less sense.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by David The Old Crown Tue May 10, 2016 11:18 pm

Not sure where this idea that I won't do anything has come from. I have said I can't replace my predecessor as an agent for the Lotto, that's all. Apart from that nobody to my knowledge has had a negative response from me regarding the club so I'm a little confused! There was one rather odd visit where someone seemed to think I had to show them every detail of my ordering, employment, reports to bosses prior to them being submitted, etc...which did end in a rather abrupt termination of the conversation after my fifth time explaining why it wasn't going to happen......

Last edited by David The Old Crown on Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expansion on detail)

David The Old Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Wed May 11, 2016 9:56 am

Don't worry David, those City fans who choose to drink in the Crown and have had a chance to talk to you know how positive and welcoming you've been on matchdays, as well as reserving rooms for City-related meetings, helping the Bid by allowing filming and buying us all shots (!).
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed May 11, 2016 12:33 pm

yes, and as I have said, it's now the silly (close) season. There are those who just have to find an outlet for the frustrations normally vented on refs, managers, players or the board.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next