Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford

+10
Roman Mike
Sir Ged Roddy
comrade powell
the demon headmaster
Marc Monitor
A36
Luton Roman
Matty_the_Roman
SASCHA
pete mac
14 posters

Go down

Oxford        Empty Oxford

Post by pete mac Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Kington replaces Murphy.

Still no Taylor.

Bench of 3

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Oxford        Empty Re: Oxford

Post by SASCHA Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Result 1-1 , excellent result all things considered.
Deserved to win on Tuesday.
Gary is doing all he can with what he has at the moment.
However he is not able to put the ball in the net, that is down to each individual player.
We now have belief, why?  because we have a manager with footballing knowledge and passion. Keep it going lads and we will without doubt be clear of trouble very soon.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty_the_Roman Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Would love to hear about Kelly's goal.

Shame we couldn't see the game out, but a great result!

Matty_the_Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:11 pm

Kelly 25 yarder in off the post after mistake by Stonehouse I think, but they upped their game and after surviving ping pong and other scares a stray Greenslade leg brought them a pen. We had much of the territory and possession esp in 1st half but lacked cutting edge in and around box. Watkins off his game, think carrying injury. Chas immense again, Kington impressive. Good team effort, shame we couldnt see it out.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 pm

Kelly's goal was from just outside the box after robbing Stonehouse, loads of bend on the shot, top corner, hit the post on its way in. Cracking goal, not much the keeper could do. Having had much the better of the game up to that point, it was all Oxford after the goal. Penalty looked fairly clear cut, although possibly close to the edge of the area (down the wing). Agree that Kington was impressive today, loads of running from Pratt, and Hemmings starting to play a bit better too. Kelly is an interesting player, superb technique, strikes the ball really sweetly, but seems to be lacking a bit in football intelligence, often playing balls into areas that just aren't useful (other than the top corner today), and not really seeing where he needs to be to get the ball. Free kicks and corners are struck really sweetly, but too often easily cleared by the defence, collected by the keeper, or just left because there is no City player near.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:35 pm

On the plus side, excellent following for City today. Was also a decent turn out last Saturday. Maybe people are finally starting to buy into Gary Owers (after so few turned up for the games against Sutton and Havant).

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Back to the "away draws" form, hopefully, we can get back to "home wins" form.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 am

Kelly's football intelligence is presumably a feature of his age. 17 suggests there is much to learn.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:40 am

No Sascha, we won't be out of trouble very soon at this rate but will probably go into the final games still needing points to stay up. A minimum target of around 46 points means we need at least ten more from eleven games. Teams around us are picking up wins and we can't afford any complacency.

A strange match yesterday. Frankly the first half wouldn't have looked out of place in the Southern League, but presumably Owers told the team there was nothing to beat and to go for it. A pity we were probably weakened by the subbing of Artus but I'm sure he would have seen red with the card happy ref. Kelly's goal was sublime and I think it's churlish to criticise him when he is playing alongside some who have been off form for months. His goal probably came too early as it gave Oxford plenty of time to finally wake up and they should have won. Some miraculous last ditch defending and a second penalty appeal which I was surprised was ignored. We should have had all three points but in the end were lucky to get one. Hopefully Ebbsfleet are as dozy as Oxford next Saturday!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 am

Gary Owers has achieved 4 draws (all away) 1home victory and 1 home defeat - a great start. Obviously not everything can change in just 6 games, but we now have much better fitness, much more enthusiasm and we are even using the full width of the pitch, which gives players to whom Chas can spray his passes. The managerial change was rather late, but if we keep going, we should get enough points. I'm looking forward to some important defeats (or draws if the strugglers are playing each other) on Tuesday!

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Yes, agree with all of that and I'm surprised that you didn't mention the most obvious and important improvement - the defence is not leaking several goals regularly in matches. The manager cannot change everything in six games as you say, but this is a real positive. What has not improved is our goalscoring - that won't affect how other teams perform in their remaining games, but they would be irrelevant if we could kill teams off when on top.

Although Oxford's ground was pretty ordinary, how nice to visit a town with so much to offer. I really hope we're both in this league next year as we will be losing another great day out in St Albans. It was a great turn out by City fans yesterday - the attendance would have failed to top 250 without them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Yes, the tightening up of the defence is really important; it's been mainly the same players as before, but when Matt Taylor is fit again, that will give us a bit more authority

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Owers furious and sees it as 2 points dropped
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Gary-Owers-angry-Bath-City-players-dropping/story-28869496-detail/story.html

I love the fact that our manager sees a 1-1 away draw at Oxford as 2 points dropped. What a change in expectations. Couldn't have imagined that after the 0-3 home dubbing which really felt like a low point. Not at the races that day. Shows how far we have come but, as others have said, we ain't out of it yet.

Taking off Watkins and replacing him with Williams on 83 mins seemed to send the wrong signal to the players. We had our backs against the wall after that.

Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:25 am

Watkins was struggling most of the game I felt with an injury. Upside was Simmo looked okay when he came on.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:46 am

Under GO 7 points in 6 games. Previously 7 points in 16 games?

The numbers have it.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 am

We really needed 3 points at Oxford as the next 2 games coming up are really going to be tough. Ebbsfleet will want revenge for our win there and I believe Truro are the best in form team in the league at the moment. If they were to win all their games in hand they will not be far behind Ebbsfleet. But playing every Tuesday now may put some pressure on them! Certainly a interesting end of season in store.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by MattC Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:12 pm

pete mac wrote:Under GO 7 points in 6 games. Previously 7 points in 16 games?

The numbers have it.

Or one win in 6 and that win was against the team at the bottom of the league..

MattC

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:22 pm

But we really were in very bad shape when Archie finally called it a day. You couldn't see where our next point or goal was coming from. We weren't even making chances. If we go down now at least it will be going down fighting.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 pm

It was an encouraging display really and the players did well. I was also encouraged by owers disappointment not to win! I said before the game i cant see us scoring if not through a defensive blunder or a moment of brilliance and 'unfortunately' the goal had both. We need Pratt for attacking purposes or someone who can shoot to work off him.
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down