Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New striker signed

+8
Roy D Hacksaw
Luton Roman
pete mac
Dusty Lynfield
Ashley
Beau Nash
sned
yuffie
12 posters

Go down

New striker signed Empty New striker signed

Post by yuffie Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Details on the website.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

New striker signed Empty Re: New striker signed

Post by sned Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:56 pm

26 games, 0 goals last season for Sutton...

hopefully NL South is his level!

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Lives in Gloucester - http://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/14427836.From_Rosey_Athletic_to_Hereford_FC__Fleetwood_would_consider_it/ - will need to make a big jump up from his previous club. Will need to rediscover his form of a few years ago to be effective.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Top signing.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:18 pm

This is what Sutton Manager had to say when they signed Fleetwod last summer "Stuart’s best position is as a second striker playing off the targetman and I think the fact we share that opinion was a significant factor in him coming. He’s had to play out wide in a 4-3-3 system and, whilst happy enough to play there, it’s clearly not his preferred position."

I wonder if this is Ower's opinion too....unless we get another striker, maybe he's looking to play him with McCootie as the target man.......if so, I hope Pops looks after his hamstrings and gets some scoring boots this summer!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:26 pm

Really good signing this.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Some interesting comments on the Sutton forum here when he left them:

http://suttonunited.proboards.com/thread/7288/stuart-fleetwood

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Work ethic chimes nicely given we will miss that from Pratt.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:53 pm

My thoughts entirely. And the last striker Gary signed for us around 30 years old without a great strike rate for his previous few clubs didn't turn out too badly.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Ooh, this could be interesting. Saw him play a couple of times for FGR - not least against Swindon in the FA Cup, where he gave them a right ragged going over. I've always kept an eye on him since then, but never imagined he'd come our way. His form's been patchy the last few seasons, and he's suffered a lot of injuries, so I hope we get the best out of him.

If he's still got half the gusto he had when he played at Gump he could be a useful acquisition. Let's hope he's not past his best.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:08 pm

I saw him as a bit part player at Cardiff City and expected him to kick on from there and Wales U-21s. Can't remember anything about him but, there again, I couldn't remember that much about Partridge, Rollo and Low at Cardiff City. I did see him play for Hereford as well and he looked better there and obviously went onto Charlton and Luton.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 am

Would have been greeted as a great signing  if  he had scored 20 goals last season but then doubt he would have been available if he had done so.
My view is that if he had signed for WSM we would have all been somewhat annoyed and saying he was someone we should have been looking to sign.
Although losing Dave Pratt was disappointing he was hardly prolific last season and most people judged him on what he was capable of rather than his actual record  last year. I think the same logic has to be used in the case of Stuart Fleetwood.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:33 am

Dave Pratt suffered from playing in a side that was one dimensional and lacking in confidence. Hopefully our new manager will carry on from where he finished last season with players playing with a bit more freedom and adventure and this will help players like Fleetwood rediscover their best form. There is no doubt he has the potential.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:36 pm

BenE wrote:Dave Pratt suffered from playing in a side that was one dimensional and lacking in confidence. Hopefully our new manager will carry on from where he finished last season with players playing with a bit more freedom and adventure and this will help players like Fleetwood rediscover their best form. There is no doubt he has the potential.

Struggling with this analysis a bit, Ben.
It's probably heresy to say it but I think Pratty lost form for whatever reason. I don't think the reason was that the team was any more or less dimensional in 2014/15 when he scored 22 goals than 2015/16 when he scored 10 goals.

Begs the question why GO couldn't work with DP to restore is confidence etc. and why it is an option to work with a new striker on what, on the face of it, would appear to be an even greater loss of form. Granted there may be other factors at play (e.g. Chips n Ham offered more money).
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I meant especially that Dave lost confidence. For some reason even when he scored a couple he didn't look like he'd regained his instinct in front of goal. Strikers are all about confidence.

But I agree it is generally difficult to fathom the huge difference in performance between the end of last season and the start of this - he couldn't hit a cow's backside with a banjo in the friendlies.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down