Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archie's aftermatch interview

+14
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
Twerton Parker
Ian Jones
BenE
comrade powell
SteveS
Elmore James
BathMan
Tapper80
Peteboa
LB
kermit
Roy D Hacksaw
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Archie's aftermatch interview - Page 2 Empty Re: Archie's aftermatch interview

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Some of the responses here have a feeling of
Archie's aftermatch interview - Page 2 Thank-you-sir-may-i-have-anotherabout them.

I am not one to want anyone sacked usually but football management isn't normal business. Normal businesses show their results by months, quarters or years and react accordingly but, by their very nature, football clubs are different. Having said that, perhaps Bath City are reacting in terms of months, quarters or years. I am not one the thinks that Real Madrid supporters "waving the white hankies" after 2 defeats in a row is correct but I am not sure that the opposite that we are seeing is healthy either.

A lot is being made about the FA Trophy run last year but am I the only one that is thinking that that perhaps took some heat off Howells and Britton over a fairly drab season in the League. Let's not forget, also, that if it wasn't for a certain Ross Stearn (who is one major difference between this and last season) we could have well not progressed past the 3rd Qualifying Round of that competition.

Playing the devil's avocado for a second, we are one place above last season's finishing position. However, firstly, there is no doubt that league performances took a back seat the further we got in the Trophy and, secondly, as I have said every week recently, no-one can see this current run being arrested. If we go below 14th, I can't see us going anywhere but in one direction.

I am sure that Britton and Howells are lovely people and, personally having lived through post-match press conferences by Dave Jones, I couldn't care less how they come across to the media. The important thing is how they come across to the players and there is little evidence that this is positive presently.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Diogenes Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 pm

The Devil's avocado must be the best typo on here for some time.

Reminds me of a refund I received from a company when the covering letter stated it was being made as a "Jester of goodwill".

Diogenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Typo? Give me a break. I have actually been trying to work out a recipe for devilled avocado.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by danver Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Good interview, he didn't duck anything, and I didn't disagree hugely with anything. I've never really understood the tactics he seems to prefer, but basically, the player with the ball at his feet dictates tactics, and his fellow players either make helpful runs for him, or they don't, and defenders presumably talk to their co-defenders and create an effective unit, or they don't. I'd like to see the details of the alternative plan before I back the call for Mr. Howells to go.

danver

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 pm

that is a good point Danver - the board need do nothing as long as they have no alternative to offer
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 pm

My understanding is, and I believe that to be correct, is that Lee Howells is paid. Maybe not a great deal but he is not doing it for nothing. Adie was not paid but whether that has changed this season I do not know.
With regard to respect I don't think Lee Howells has tried very hard to build any sort or relationship with fans.
If he goes, which I hope he does, there are not many options and certainly many of those names mentioned are not realistic. I would certainly give Billy Clark a chance. A good coach who knows what he is about and gets the best out of people. Also knows the existing players and those in the U21 and Academy.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Yes, I'd agree with giving Billy Clark the opportunity to turn things round over the rest of the season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:10 pm

What does a Director of Football do?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:34 pm

There was a chant at Ninian Park when we got our first Director of Football - Frank Burrows, I think.

He's the Director of Football, Ninian Park.
What's he do?
What's he do?
What's he do? etc, etc, ad infinitum.

I have to say that that usually sums up the perception and, often, the reality of directors of football in this country. I am sure there have been some effective ones but I can't think which.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I did try to establish what his role entailed once but the conversation kept going round in circles. I think he is supposed to be responsible for recruitment.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2