Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goodbye Lee

+9
LB
stillmanjunior
BenE
Jon_BOA
comrade powell
SteveS
Luton Roman
pete mac
Beau Nash
13 posters

Go down

Goodbye Lee Empty Goodbye Lee

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:38 pm

A sad day as a nice guy - https://twitter.com/HJBurridge - but probably for the best.

The rest of the management need to take a long hard look at themselves too.

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Goodbye Lee Empty Re: Goodbye Lee

Post by pete mac Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:57 pm

I thought it would be. Once you say you are not sure then the position is untenable.

I always though Archie was a genuine manager who worked hard and saw some great success - the promotion to Conference premier and the run to wembley last year.

He was a great player for Cheltenham and he is still held in high regard there.

All the best Archie.

We now need to battle to stay up and Bathman is right - we need to back the players to do it.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Thanks for the good times Lee, and there were plenty.

I think some of the players need to ask themselves whether they are up for it. As always the manager cops it, but the players cross the white line and play...or don't.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:12 pm

The correct decision and I think it is for the overall good of the club. We must now all get 100% behind the team on Saturday, hope those who said they would not return until a change now come back on Saturday. We need to ensure we stay up, I am sure the ability is there.
Not sure where this leaves Adie.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:35 pm

Thanks for some good memories, Archie, and best wishes for the future. Perhaps the finest achievement was when we played Rovers off the park - most of your team from that day are still here and need to show the same commitment in the coming weeks.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Thanks for the good times Lee, and there were plenty.

I'd echo that, there have been many good times with Lee, and I wish him well for the future.

That said, I called for him to go after the Hayes game, and Saturday confirmed something had to give. Now is the time to really rally behind the club.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:46 pm

No indication what happens to his post. Will anyone be asked to fill it? I cannot see how Archie can carry the whole can.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:34 pm

SteveS wrote:We must now all get 100% behind the team on Saturday

It should happen every game, regardless of who is in charge. It is why Arch's reign was doomed (I'm making it sound like he was a disaster, when he was not) from the start.

He didn't have the full backing from the start and as a result as soon as results went against us a section of fans were very vocal about it. The same section weren't as vocal when we were doing well. It is why there were some 'digs' at the fans, why should Arch show respect to morons who post things on social media like "three years too late"? He worked damn hard, did his best, was in charge of some great moments, especially that trophy run. Yes, he was also at the helm for a few disasters, but every manager has overseen a bad run or two.

I personally wish him well for the future whilst wishing that whoever takes on the job is given the time and respect to get on with it, without fans getting on his back if one or two early results don't go well. City need to be united.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:58 pm

In his quote Junior missed out the second part of the sentence - hope those who said they would not return until a change now come back on Saturday. This is really what I meant by all getting behind the team although I do admit watching games at Twerton over the past few months has been an endurance test. Only those with a true dedication to the club could have kept at it.
Some of the sackings of managers over the past few weeks, after only 2 or 3 months in charge, borders on stupidity. Lee Howells has had more than a fair run and it is time for a change, however good luck to him in the future and the Bristol Rovers game is one that will long live in the memory.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Sorry, Junior, but I don't agree that his reign was doomed from the start. If those in the public eye are foolish enough to use social media to see what people think of them, then that's their look out. As far as the crowd at matches are concerned, I think they have been incredibly patient and I've heard virtually no dissenting voices. And if Lee and the rest of those on the bench could put up with the non stop vitriol from the Harlow pond life, then I think a few moans at TP should be easily ignored!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:39 pm

comrade powell wrote:Sorry, Junior, but I don't agree that his reign was doomed from the start.

I'm sure there are clubs which are far worse than ours. I recall Luton being booed off after beating us 3-1 in the Conference. But I still stand by the fact that there was a lack of unity when he was appointed, so he had to work hard from the beginning to win them over. I even think had he taken us to Wembley some would have almost been gutted that he'd achieved such a feat.

Fortunately the comment appeared to be a one-off, which is the norm on Social Media. I just hope people realise (it appears most do on here) that Arch wasn't some sort of train wreck who dismantled the club. We won 41% of his games in charge, which I would guess (sounds like a 'get out' but I haven't got time to go over all the stats) is pretty respectable against others.

Steve is right to say some sackings recently in the game are beyond stupid, and without doubt had we been in one of the top three divisions I expect Arch would have been gone by about October. I'm sure he thought he would turn it around, I was hoping he would, but Saturday proved to be one defeat too many. Lets hope the players react positively on Saturday. The last three matches have been tricky on paper, this weekend is very much winnable.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I think the problem from the start of his spell as manager was that it appeared to be a case of "rearranging the deckchairs" with him and Adie Britton swapping places (and it not even being clear at times who was the manager) when a lot of people hoped for a new man from 'outside'. I don't think Lee Howells ever went out of his way to endear himself to fans.

Although it is probably a forlorn hope, it would be nice if everybody could get behind the new manager - whoever that is - because one of the saddest things over the last couple of years is how divided the club has been, with some people defending the Howells/Britton regime almost until the very end, and not tolerating any opposing views.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:35 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:

It should happen every game, regardless of who is in charge. It is why Arch's reign was doomed (I'm making it sound like he was a disaster, when he was not) from the start.

He didn't have the full backing from the start and as a result as soon as results went against us a section of fans were very vocal about it. The same section weren't as vocal when we were doing well. It is why there were some 'digs' at the fans, why should Arch show respect to morons who post things on social media like "three years too late"? He worked damn hard, did his best, was in charge of some great moments, especially that trophy run. Yes, he was also at the helm for a few disasters, but every manager has overseen a bad run or two.

I personally wish him well for the future whilst wishing that whoever takes on the job is given the time and respect to get on with it, without fans getting on his back if one or two early results don't go well. City need to be united.

Fans have NO control of what happens at team meetings!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:He didn't have the full backing from the start and as a result as soon as results went against us a section of fans were very vocal about it. The same section weren't as vocal when we were doing well. It is why there were some 'digs' at the fans, why should Arch show respect to morons who post things on social media like "three years too late"? He worked damn hard, did his best, was in charge of some great moments, especially that trophy run. Yes, he was also at the helm for a few disasters, but every manager has overseen a bad run or two.

I don't understand why he should expect full backing from fans. Full backing from the board yes but there were a number of people who had already taken against him before he became head coach/manager. He had already been here for some time then and upset a few people. There was then the infamous Meet the Manager where he had strong words with fans after he was called Adie Britton's poodle by someone else.
You cannot expect to be universally liked and having 'digs' at fans in the media is likely to lead to even more people taking against you.

The job isn't there for someone who works damn hard. It is there for someone who is competent. A 41% win ratio is pretty decent. A lot of managers would be pleased with that. But my impression is that I have stood on the terraces watching game after game of dross and not only this season. There have been lots of times when I have wondered why I am still going. It was enlivened by the cup run in which we were the underdog in most games. You cannot generate passion and determination from being underdog in this league.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:28 pm

BenE wrote:There was then the infamous Meet the Manager where he had strong words with fans after he was called Adie Britton's poodle by someone else.

I've never really understood where the boundary was, but I don't blame him for that one.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:37 pm

No nor do, the comment ruined the atmosphere of the whole meeting and was out of place, but a number of people have subsequently made a big thing about neither Adie or Archie giving instructions from the side lines.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:47 pm

For me, he never showed great sentiment towards the amazing fans of this club so i won't be sending him mine.

However, he obviously put in a lot of hours for the club and we are also still in a reasonable position in the league so respect for that.

Onwards and Upwards. UTC
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Colin Voutt wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:

Fans have NO control of what happens at team meetings!

Could you elaborate, please?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:56 pm

That's Colin's longest post ever so you'll be lucky.

I took it he meant that it doesn't matter what the fans say they can't have any influence on the preparation of the team. Hence they shouldn't be used as an excuse.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:49 pm

Benny, fancy a job as his interpreter?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Basically, a successful manager doesn't need the fans but one in trouble does. Similar with the media. This idea that managers need to work the media and the fans is a new one. Brian Cough was an abrasive bloke with the press and thumped one of his own supporters but people loved him because he was a genius manager.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:30 pm

BenE wrote:That's Colin's longest post ever so you'll be lucky.

I took it he meant that it doesn't matter what the fans say they can't have any influence on the preparation of the team. Hence they shouldn't be used as an excuse.

Gotya, ta.

I'm looking forward to a new guy turning up and telling all our players to throw medals they haven't won into the biggest flippin' dustbin they could find. As they haven't won any of them fairly.

Mr Andrew Gallinagh, you're my captain...

And you (looks at Dan Ball), Bristolian...

People would probably need an interpreter for all that to be honest.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down