Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archie's aftermatch interview

+14
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
Twerton Parker
Ian Jones
BenE
comrade powell
SteveS
Elmore James
BathMan
Tapper80
Peteboa
LB
kermit
Roy D Hacksaw
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Archie's aftermatch interview Empty Archie's aftermatch interview

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 pm

It is what it is...

So, what are your thoughts on this then?

https://soundcloud.com/bath-city-internet-radio

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Archie's aftermatch interview Empty Re: Archie's aftermatch interview

Post by kermit Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:05 am

It is what it is.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:17 am

It was similar to so many previous interviews - Dartford had better players than us, we don't have any money, it is what it is - with a bit of a pop at the fans as well.

Not sure he was taking responsibility for what has happened even now - for me the most telling part was the long pause after he was asked if the players were still with him.

He did sound like a man who was on his way out, but I have a feeling he will wait for the Concord game to see if the players raise their game for that in light of his comments about individuals needing to look at themselves etc. If he does go I wonder who will pick the team for Saturday...

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:30 am

what a peculiar man
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tapper80 Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:52 am

Get this idiot and his sidekick out of the building ASAP!!! Forever blaming lack of money, quality of the players, "it is what it is" mentality, funny how the quality of coaching is never questioned!!! Bit extreme but Greece won a European championship, Porto won the champions league with less quality playing squads but high class coaching so I'm not even buying this idiots weekly excuses!!! There is increasingly a lack of a system or vision with this team and that lies solely with the management! The pair of them need to do the decent thing and go, no other manager in the country would of survived a run like this! We are fast becoming a joke! Like Howells!!!!!

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 am

Listening to his interview not polished but sounds like it came from his heart! And said things that ruled his head.

Main point for me I agree with him.

We are a “Mid to Low” table club, this is reflective in how we direct, manage, and pay our players (money in to money out).

We don’t have a board/Director with deep pockets to reinvest in a plan and community schemes wont either.  

Other clubs have a plan the get out of this league “We Don’t”

So he has to manage the highs and lows around all of the above, he is at a low at the moment but I remember the fantastic cup run 10 months ago and our great start to the season that has helped to protect us from relegation.  Will all the doubters remember at the end of the season, I think not?

To be honest to manage a club like Bath City is a thankless task and if he leaves we wont get Alex Ferguson but more likely someone without the heart and commitment that our current manager shows. People mention the quality of coaching as an issue, well just to burst that bubble players at this standard should be at a level that deliver (Pay v standard) 4 hrs on grass wont improve them. they are responsible for their own fitness that i don't think is an issue.
Tactical coaching is the ability to deliver the ball to the right areas (i think this is what he mentions as lacking and a problem) we prove we can do this although the rub of the green is against us at the moment.

I run a company and experience the same day-to-day issues, from myself to our board and manager; I say get together as this is the time for uniting Bath City FC and manage the short term issues, I’m sure a lot of the teams at the foot of the league would want to swap places with you. It is not that bad in the scope of our position, everyone needs to pull behind the manager or get out of his face.  

Rant Over

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 am

so what happened after the first 8 games of the season?
what happened to the comment 'we play better on pitches during October etc....'
where is the 'best team we've had since we've been here'

and as for 'We are a “Mid to Low” table club, this is reflective in how we direct, manage, and pay our players' just goes to show that he(they) cannot manage our players and get the best of them.

I agree we should pull the manager....but out of the door!

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am

The signs that we were in trouble have been there for some time, I think it was as far back as October that I was saying this although most thought I was talking rubbish.
Regarding what BathMan was saying you have to look at what I think is the basics of management regardless of what the budget is. This is that you must get the best out of the talents you have at your disposal and be able to motivate your staff. If BathMan runs a business I am sure he must agree with this - but the management team at Bath City are clearly no longer able to do this.
There is little point going back and saying about the Trophy run last season, that is in the past. If your business goes bust and you have to tell your employees that they are all out of a job and I am sure they would not be impressed by you saying 'but we made a profit 2 years ago'.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:54 am

Firstly, fair play to Lee Howells for agreeing to ask some tough questioning after such a demoralising display. He is clearly out of his comfort zone and is not contracted to face the media so soon after matches. It's easy to pick fault with what he says, but what do people honestly expect?

A memo to BCIR - what I'd really be interested in is an interview with the people who will decide the direction of our club for the rest of this season and beyond. What are their feelings about this disastrous season? If they don't think a change of management is the answer, what is? If most of these players were capable of taking us to within a whisker of Wembley less than a year ago, why are they apparently not performing for the same management team now? Do they agree with the comments of their manager regarding the position the club is in when compared to our opponents at this level? etc etc
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Good debating and I agree "fair play to Lee" for talking from the heart at such a disappointing time.

But we must look at the underlining issues here, as off the field we are not in a good position. Control of the club rightly is with people that put their money in; Community Groups are at the door, not good when we need everyone to unite behind Bath City FC and our manage in sorting their short term issues out. This is not a club that has a backer with deep pockets so everyone’s expectation should fall in line.

I’m sure a lot of the teams at the foot of the league would want to swap places with us. It is not that bad in the scope of our position, everyone needs to pull behind the manager or get out.

Who wants to work for a failing company these days, so our options to attract people both players and managers are limited, fact.

Comments on what happened after the first 8 games well I will tell you, we got lucky and unlucky. Rub of the green and not, hit a post, save a shot, etc.  If he could answer that question Lee wouldn't be with us or working with such restrictions.

All we are saying is the same, consistency where has it gone, my belief is when your head is down then the world gets on your back, and ever mistake cost you!

Like I said earlier   "Everyone Unite behind Bath City FC and our Manage" We are not at a bad area of the league (Ask a Villa Fan LOL) or get out.

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:46 pm

"Get behind the manager or get out" Wow! If that's want you want you'll be watching on your own next Saturday.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:14 pm

[quote="BathMan"]
Comments on what happened after the first 8 games well I will tell you, we got lucky and unlucky. Rub of the green and not, hit a post, save a shot, etc.  If he could answer that question Lee wouldn't be with us or working with such restrictions. /quote]

The biggest piece of good fortune was that we faced the weakest teams in the first month.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:27 pm

BathMan wrote:Comments on what happened after the first 8 games well I will tell you, we got lucky and unlucky. Rub of the green and not, hit a post, save a shot, etc.  If he could answer that question Lee wouldn't be with us or working with such restrictions.

So if we hadn't had the rub of the green we'd be sitting at the bottom of the league.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Elmore James wrote:
BathMan wrote:Comments on what happened after the first 8 games well I will tell you, we got lucky and unlucky. Rub of the green and not, hit a post, save a shot, etc.  If he could answer that question Lee wouldn't be with us or working with such restrictions.

So if we hadn't had the rub of the green we'd be sitting at the bottom of the league.

Exactly and if we had some more luck in some of the games we lost we would be at the top of the league.

Someone said once

“I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Get round the table and work harder, sacking people or falling on your sword won’t fix this.

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:50 pm

BathMan wrote:Get round the table and work harder, sacking people or falling on your sword won’t fix this.

So how long do you let this slide downwards go on before changes are made??

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Elmore James wrote:
BathMan wrote:Get round the table and work harder, sacking people or falling on your sword won’t fix this.

So how long do you let this slide downwards go on before changes are made??

The slide was inevitable as mentioned by someone else the great start was against the easier teams in the league, lets see how we get on in the last third and this will show our true position. Then we need to plan for next year !

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Interesting comments from BathMan - he seems to be suggesting that we carry on as we are in the hope that things will improve; haven't we been doing that for a few months now? He also says that teams at the bottom of the table would be glad to be in our position - the way things are going they soon will be (I see Basingstoke won again yesterday)!

I agree with Comrade Powell - whatever decision Lee Howells makes we need to hear something from the board about how they see the future, both for the rest of this season and beyond, even if the latter does depend on the success or otherwise of the community club project.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:00 pm

LB wrote:Interesting comments from BathMan - he seems to be suggesting that we carry on as we are in the hope that things will improve; haven't we been doing that for a few months now? He also says that teams at the bottom of the table would be glad to be in our position - the way things are going they soon will be (I see Basingstoke won again yesterday)!

I agree with Comrade Powell - whatever decision Lee Howells makes we need to hear something from the board about how they see the future, both for the rest of this season and beyond, even if the latter does depend on the success or otherwise of the community club project.

I never said "Hope" once. !  Work harder doesn't mean to Hope.

If i was in their position i would be supporting what my management team deemed appropriate to see out the season.

Bristol Rovers got out the conference with a different type of players from those that now keeps them top quartile of league two.    

Go get a big centre half from the lower leagues (cheap) if it high balls that are the issue likewise a pacy forward.

10 games left against bottom half teams that we need to pick up some results we have only lost one game against teams below us, so work on that.
9 games left against the top half that we got three wins and two draws, then park the bus like chelsea !!
Saturdays 4-1 hurt us on goal difference that needs addressing as the bottom three relegation teams if on points we are in a good position as we are 12 goals to the better !

I sat in the stands next to a well known manager down south during a preseason friendly who was explaining why he was trailing a big slow centre half, his answer was because the player would deal with ever ball at head hight, when pointed out that the player had two left feet his answer was I've got other players for ground work !!!!

BathMan

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Well we have established before that it would be better for everyone if Archie didn't do interviews. And this is especially the case after a humbling defeat.

If you are in a hole the best thing to do is stop digging.

Instead he manages to have a go at everyone in a way that manages to disenfranchise all. It is the diametric opposite of good management.

How do you motivate a player when you have just told him he's only at the club because he's not good enough to play anywhere else? How do you get a player to stop making mistakes when you have just said it is OK because that's all that can be expected of someone of their standard?

As an example of his man management it leaves an awful lot to be desired. It is not the first.

And yet he blames the supporters for putting unreasonable expectation on him. In his world we have no rights to any hopes or dreams we just have to keep turning up and handing over our cash. It is a strange attitude. I wonder what his opinion of his direct employers (the board) is. No doubt it is equally dismissive.

He is going to have a long think but I bet not much of the time is spent identifying his own management failures. He doesn't even appear to know what a good manager is.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:50 pm

It's actually hard not to feel sorry for a man who is so hopelessly out of his depth and seems to feel there is some sort of conspiracy against him which given the uniquely patient nature of our support could barely be further from the truth.

Comments like these, it's safe to say, don't help:

"They (the fans) won't give you that time"

"Do they ever consider what im going though??"

"This can't carry on..I don't think it's fair, fair on ...me"

Are the players with you " The Players are the players, nothings gonna change their mentality"

"You find a level in life, we are where we are. We're middle of the road"

Most importantly do we think this is the man we want in charge during the community ownership bid to save the club?! I honestly can't see how anyone with the clubs long (or indeed short) term interest at heart would want Howells to remain?
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Jones Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:32 pm

I'm not sure he's right for the job anymore but here's a thought. If he had been paid for doing this and the previous role for all these years he may have made over £100k . Maybe it is time to go but perhaps he also deserves a bit of respect.

Ian Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:38 pm

Peteboa wrote: Most importantly do we think this is the man we want in charge during the community ownership bid to save the club?!  I honestly can't see how anyone with the club's long (or indeed short) term interest at heart would want Howells to remain?

Yes!! We need to hear from the Board, don't we? What is their take on the current situation?

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Would a sacking of either the managers incur a payoff?
Maybe the board are hoping to survive the season then just not renew contracts.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Whether he was right in saying it or not, his comments about the fans is pretty accurate. He's faced a downhill battle from day one from a few who weren't going to accept the fact that he was in charge. I don't think we've had a manager with the almost universal backing from the fans since Bodin. Funny how that resulted in a couple of years of fantastic football.

If he does decide it is time to move on I'd wish him well for the future. On a personal level he's always been perfectly approachable and friendly with me. Sure, we've endured some pretty poor performances during his tenure, and this recent run in my opinion is worse than the two wins in 26 in the Conference Premier. But he's also in the history books for taking us one step from Wembley, which I didn't think in my wildest dreams would ever happen, and was part of the staff for the promotion in 2010. Ian's last sentence sums it up well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol Mike Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Ian Jones wrote:I'm not sure he's right for the job anymore but here's a thought. If he had been paid for doing this and the previous role for all these years he may have made over £100k . Maybe it is time to go but perhaps he also deserves a bit of respect.

I think if he had been paid for the job he is doing he would have been sacked a long time ago!

Every time he uses the budget, facilities, luck, poor finishing or the fans as excuses for the performances he makes not just himself but the whole club look stupid

Bristol Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next