Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much more can the supporters take?

+23
bone ash
Diogenes
Peteboa
Luton Roman
Beau Nash
Too Late...
Roman Mike
stillmanjunior
Jon_BOA
Ashley
LB
2weirdtown
freeview
SASCHA
danver
BenE
SteveS
comrade powell
Marc Monitor
miker
yuffie
pete mac
Steve Whites Missus
27 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

How much more can the supporters take? Empty How much more can the supporters take?

Post by Elmore James Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:37 pm

One in win in the last 10 games and one of those a draw!

Where is the supporters protests?

Has apathy taken over?

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

How much more can the supporters take? Empty Re: How much more can the supporters take?

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:25 pm

The 'we're going to southern league' sadly made me giggle

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

How much more can the supporters take? Empty Re: How much more can the supporters take?

Post by Elmore James Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:37 pm

In the Chronicle of Oct 2012 Britton was to take on football development - isn't development meant to be an improvement.................... Laughing Laughing

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I would suggest a more pertinent title for this thread would be 'How much more can the board take?'
Despite that, I would be amazed if the management team were relieved of their duties, but the patience, loyalty and generosity of supporters should surely be rewarded with at least a public comment or two on the present situation.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:23 pm

The Board have been completely silent but this is now a critical time. 2 wins in 18 and total resignation around the ground today.

The Board need to show some leadership. That's their job.

First half was atrocious. No fight. Came out and had a go but can't shut up shop when we need to.

Something has to change.

I drove for 6 hours to watch that. I expect to lose but most weeksevery week(bar a couple)

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:The 'we're going to southern league' sadly made me giggle

Right, I'm sure the players thought it was hilarious as well.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Yes there was an awful feeling of defeat and resignation in the ground. I didn't think the players were up for it first half especially Kaid

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 pm

That's exactly right Pete but what baffles me is why did the players appear to be not up for it in the first half.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 am

Interesting list put up on Facebook of possible replacements.

Craig Laird, Nick Bunyard, Alex Russell, Andy Tillson, Steve White, Adrian Foster, Mickey Bell, Dave Mogg, Rob Cousins
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Interesting list put up on Facebook of possible replacements.

Craig Laird, Nick Bunyard, Alex Russell, Andy Tillson, Steve White, Adrian Foster, Mickey Bell, Dave Mogg, Rob Cousins

Tillson or White. or though at the moment I'd take Brian and Mike York. At least they would show some passion.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:00 am

Apart from it being a hypothetical exercise, I would think it most unlikely that any of that list would be interested/considered. Have they forgotten the current Paulton manager? - still has a lot of affection for the club and would never have tolerated yesterday's spineless performance.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:02 am

I don't believe anything will change. If a change was made you have to be realistic. I would put Billy Clark in charge assisted by Jim Rollo. There has been lots of talk about academy and under 21's. Billy has great knowledge of all the players in these groups and what they are capable / not capable of. He also knows the existing players as well and could hit the ground running.
He is a good coach who gets the best of what he has available which is what we need. We need to clear the rest out, obviously Adie and Howells - also Friggy.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

comrade powell wrote:I would suggest a more pertinent title for this thread would be 'How much more can the board take?'
Despite that, I would be amazed if the management team were relieved of their duties, but the patience, loyalty and generosity of supporters should surely be rewarded with at least a public comment or two on the present situation.
You have made this comment frequently Mr Powell. Can you give one clear reason why a board would not remove someone from their post under any circumstances and especially in these circumstances?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Please don't assume that I think the status quo should be maintained. The frequently made comment you refer to is based on the history of this club over the past few years. If the management were accountable to the board, then yes a change would be on the cards but do you see any evidence of that? My opinion has not changed one bit in the last three years - the changes need to be made behind the scenes. The whole club has become stale and is crying out for fresh faces and ideas.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:22 pm

SteveS wrote:I don't believe anything will change. If a change was made you have to be realistic. I would put Billy Clark in charge assisted by Jim Rollo. There has been lots of talk about academy and under 21's. Billy has great knowledge of all the players in these groups and what they are capable / not capable of. He also knows the existing players as well and could hit the ground running.
He is a good coach who gets the best of what he has available which is what we need. We need to clear the rest out, obviously Adie and Howells - also Friggy.

That's interesting, Steve, as much has been made of the academy players not coming through to the first team. Are you suggesting that they are good players who are being well coached by Billy Clark but they are just being ignored by Howells and Britton?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

How much more can the supporters take? Empty First forty five minutes

Post by danver Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:45 pm

The club's official website says, "robbed of a point after a rousing fightback.". Nobody should allow the fightback to disguise what happened in the first half. Eleven players took to the field without even the rudiments of a plan or any sign of having been motivated to do more than go through the motions. Passes were sloppily and carelessly misplaced, tackles were clumsy and half hearted, and desire was most notable by it's absence. Mr. Howells is usually saddled with the blame for such a shambles, but those eleven players pulled on the shirt of a club with a proud and illustrious history, crossed the white line failed to perform, and presumably picked up their fee without too many recriminations afterwards, they owe us something. I am no great fan of the style the management seem to prefer, it is dull and frustrating to watch the same absence of ideas week after week, but the players cannot be absolved of all blame, they know their trade, they are obviously half decent or they would not be in this league, it's time they took control of the situation themselves, and never force us to witness such an abject dereliction of duty as that first forty five minutes again. Don't know what happened at half time, I hope there was an almighty bust-up, and one or two home truths spoken.

danver

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Apparently, it said on the radio that Mohomad had a bust up with someone at half-time, hence him not being on in the second half.

I agree with you that it was a disgrace the way the players played yesterday but, of course, that has to down to the manager. That is why we have managers to manage the players otherwise we wouldn't need them. I agree that, on occasion, you can blame individual players when they are having a 'mare of a game but when you have a whole team underperforming for three months, the management have to take responsibility and any half-decent manager would take responsibility.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 pm

comrade powell wrote:Please don't assume that I think the status quo should be maintained. The frequently made comment you refer to is based on the history of this club over the past few years. If the management were accountable to the board, then yes a change would be on the cards but do you see any evidence of that? My opinion has not changed one bit in the last three years - the changes need to be made behind the scenes. The whole club has become stale and is crying out for fresh faces and ideas.
If the management were accountable to the board??? I am speechless.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I agree with you that it was a disgrace the way the players played yesterday but, of course, that has to down to the manager.  

Nonsense.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:19 pm

comrade powell wrote:Please don't assume that I think the status quo should be maintained. The frequently made comment you refer to is based on the history of this club over the past few years. If the management were accountable to the board, then yes a change would be on the cards but do you see any evidence of that? My opinion has not changed one bit in the last three years - the changes need to be made behind the scenes. The whole club has become stale and is crying out for fresh faces and ideas.

I am curious to see any evidence that the management isn't accountable to the board?

And, as for your last comment, ignoring how well that ended up last time, I assume that when the Bid money has finally been raised that will happen.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:46 pm

yuffie wrote:

I am curious to see any evidence that the management isn't accountable to the board?

And, as for your last comment, ignoring how well that ended up last time, I assume that when the Bid money has finally been raised that will happen.

Well I can hardly provide evidence of something which I don't think exists! I don't believe in ghosts, but I can't prove their non existence to you. Can you provide any evidence that the management is accountable to the board?

And as for your last comment, why should the board wait for the Bid succeeding - why can't fresh faces and ideas be introduced now?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:04 pm

But why do you think it doesn't exist? Is it simply that they haven't been sacked already? I know that a number of people believed that Adie (and, I assume, Archie, by association) was untouchable under the previous leadership because he was involved in bringing Manda to the club. Is this still the same under Paul?

For what it is worth, I still have enough faith that the members of the board have the best interests of the club at heart (all long-time supporters, like me and you) to support them and the management team until one or both are no longer at the club.

As for the second point, I would imagine anyone currently interested in getting involved in the club would have bought into the Community Club line and either be already involved or waiting for the takeover to be completed. Especially as all comments tend to say it's a case of 'when' rather than 'if' the change happens.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:09 pm

yuffie wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:I agree with you that it was a disgrace the way the players played yesterday but, of course, that has to down to the manager.  

Nonsense.

What's the manager's role then? If the team have complete responsibility, why have a manager? As I say, if a player has a 'mare of a game, even a couple, you can blame the player. Even if a team has a 'mare of a game, you can say that it was a bad day at the office.

When a team plays like they did yesterday, especially the first half, after a disastrous 3 month 18 game run, you can only put it down to the management. Put it another way, who would you blame for this run, these performances. Even if you do put it down to the players, who brought in these players. Why have these players that can play so well suddenly had such a terrible season.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Why does it have to one or the other? If you're going to say the first half performance was down to the manager, why not say the second half improvement was all down to him as well?

For a team that does seem to have fragile confidence to come back from 2 goals down and 2 missed penalties was a remarkable effort (though understandably overshadowed by Hayes' late goal). So who was responsible for that?

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:52 pm

Let's not sugar coat the second half. It was a good 20-30 minutes that certainly seems to have had something to do with anything said at half-time. I think it also had a lot to do with Watkins' commitment. However, the team could not even hold onto the draw at home to a team that had seen a 2 goal lead slip away. There is no belief amongst the players.

As I say, though, if it had been a one off bad day at the office, it would have been one thing but when a performance as bad as that comes at the end of such a bad run, it has to be down to the management. For a start, they have used many different players - players that they are solely responsible for bringing in - in many different combinations. Are we saying that not only are 11 players not good enough but the whole squad.

Secondly, if the players aren't performing "for the shirt", why aren't they motivated? Managers are supposed to get the team motivated while, of course, players have a responsibility to motivate themselves and each other. The whole point about a manager is that it is supposed to make a team more than the sum of its parts. Individual players obviously can't do that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next