City v Oxford

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: City v Oxford

Post by SteveS on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 am

I think we have now reached a critical point. Yes, Oxford were a good side but how much we contributed to our own downfall is open to debate.
I think the next 4 games are Margate, Wealdstone, FA Trophy and Hayes. The bottom line is results have to improve and it is the result that matters, at the moment our form is relegation form.
There can be no more excuses - awful long midweek trip to Margate, bound to be a reaction from them following having having conceded 6 goals in previous game etc. Then Wealdstone - players were tired following long midweek trip. Having to go to Margate midweek is not what you want but Harlow made a similar sort of midweek trip to Twerton and still managed to play with more energy and desire than us.
We need league points and if the present malaise continues over the next 4 games we are in big trouble.

SteveS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:13 am

LB wrote:Perhaps the players have taken on board the management rhetoric that we can't compete with clubs like Oxford  and that affected their approach to the game.

I hope you're wrong but fear you may be correct! There seems to be an obsession with other clubs' playing budgets, players, location and status. Only yesterday someone closely connected with our club reminded me during the match that Oxford should be superior to us as they are full time. Even if that is so (is it?), I would hope that fact would be a source of motivation. It certainly worked during that first season in Conference Premier when we stuffed full timers like Cambridge.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:31 am

I will accept (albeit through gritted teeth) defeat to better teams but I'd still prefer to see some passion and pattern to play or game plan in defeat. Didn't see either yesterday.
What makes it harder to swallow is taking the wider context of our form.

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/natsouth/form/eight

If you throw in the last 12 or so performances last season (post Ferriby) then, with this trajectory, we can expect to be in a relegation battle later in the season. There appears to be an element of denial here citing tiredness and demoralisation from the Trophy run and the first 6 games of this season. Did anybody really believe that was a true reflection of our status? My concern is that if you don't identify a trend / situation as a problem then you are very unlikely to look for, never mind find, a solution. We seem to be sleepwalking.
Roman Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 am

Don't forget that right now the Bid team are trying to both build up the club's profile and support as part of their efforts to ensure the Bid's eventual success. The majority of the team's post-August form can hardly be helping this, can it?

Twerton Parker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:33 am

before 90 minutes was up we worked out we had paid £6 per shot. One from Kaid one from Addelsbury.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:20 pm

I don't mind that we were beaten by a superior team - it's the manner in which we were defeated that disapppointed me. There's no point in having three attacking men up front when there's no one with the heart to service them in the middle.

Our midfield was almost entirely ineffectual yesterday. Kington seems to have lost his passion for a forward pass, and constantly plays the negative ball - frequently to an opposition player, and I'm not entirely sure what Addlesbury was doing out there, shy of his traditional one-big-punt at goal, which pays off about one-in-ten attempts.

Artus started the stronger of the three, but spent so much time mopping up the mistakes of the other two that he'd run himself out hy the second half.

The forwards were getting so little service that we were seeing Kaid and Pratty playing so deep that only little Andy Watkins was left up front, and despite his sterling efforts, he was always going to struggle against Oxford's big tall crowd at the back.

All this negative play from our midfielders is also putting strain on our defence, as so many sloppy passes in our own half were finding their way to the feet of marauding opposition forwards that our back four were constantly firefighting their mistakes.

It could be said that it was the strength of the opposition that forced these errors, but this same thing has been happening time and time again in recent weeks, and we've just been lucky that it's been against weaker opposition.

Having such a flimsy, negative, uncreative midfield only puts further pressure on the boys at the front and the back, and I've been amazed that more people haven't been getting on their backs about it. Is the only reason that some of these players haven't been dropped long before now because there isn't anyone better to replace them?

Roy D Hacksaw

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

I agree 100% with that, Roy. I don't know about Miles John (is he a midfielder?), but the only alternative I can think of is Hemmings who has hardly warranted a place in the starting line up. It was about this time last year that he awoke from his slumbers and became a key player - one would hope he had the motivation to do so again.

I hate to bang on about this yet again, but the solution to such obvious problems always seems to be the short term fix. I'm sure Kaid will have better days than yesterday, but if he does we all know he won't be here for the season. The young lad Barrow looked an excellent prospect but was unable to force himself into the team. Coinciding with his departure we brought in Yeoman on loan, but he has not featured any more than Barrow and will presumably will be returning very soon to Torquay. And if Barrow was deemed too small for our needs, I wouldn't fancy John's chances. The only alternative I can see is to play Bowman in midfield - his pace certainly livens up our play - if Sekani could have an extended run in the team perhaps that would be a possibility.

But we have to accept that our team will always be selected from around 15 regulars - and the lack of hunger from some of those suggests that they know it. The development squad hardly get a look in, with the default get out of jail option to bring in a young lad from a local league club who will warm the bench.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:41 pm

So the elephant in the room is.....

Steve Whites Missus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miker on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Agree with most of the above and Roy has summarised the situation very well.
As a slight but related aside, which teams in our league are full time ?

miker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John barnes on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Three words Confused disappointed annoying !! I was at the game Saturday against Oxford and those words sums it up!! In mid week I watched city get beat by street however one positive was the performance of new signee Miles John, his pace trickery and crosses was all that was lacking and crying out today! After making two substitutions 3-1 down surely myself and the rest of the fans would of relished seeing him in action again! With his fresh legs pace and cleverness surely he could of done some damage to Oxford!!

John barnes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Depends what his position is - he started right back on Tuesday. Might get a run-out on Tuesday.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John barnes on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:02 pm

I hear you 'stillmanjunior' I've researched his previous and as a positive believe he can play either right back/ wing back or right side midfield. There's a video on YouTube titled 'miles john highlight video 2015'

John barnes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:30 pm

I like the idea of Bowman playing on the right side of midfield as he runs at players and worries them causing opportunities for us to score. Also it accommodates Simpson. There are two issues with this. Firstly, it is in the centre of midfield that we had an issue with yesterday not the wide areas. Secondly - and I hate to bring this up - why are we looking for right midfield players who are creative, run at players and create chances?
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LB on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 pm

I see there is an interview with Lee Howells on the Chronicle website - unfortunately I am not clever enough to be able to post a link.

For those who haven't seen it the gist seems to be: Oxford were better than us because they have more money; they've got what they've got; they are what they are and we are what we are because of the whole situation; the third goal changed the game; he knows where we are and the fans know where we are as a football club. Overall though, the current situation is okay and we are just in a bit of a sticky patch.

LB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Doesn't seem anything particularly out of order in what he says but I'm sure some people will disagree.

I guess if the community takeover doesn't happen then we can try to find some dodgy American to take over, get a job lot of Spanish players clearly better than this level and then produce the sort of performances that we all want week in week out.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:59 am

I would agree with most of what he is saying, but why say it? Why do managers have to talk to the media minutes after a defeat? Does Archie have any advice offered by the club or people who are expert in PR about how best to convey what you want to say? What message does this give to supporters and players? To me it says we are at a huge disadvantage when facing such clubs and we can't be expected to beat them. I don't believe that and I doubt if Archie does, but we all say things we later regret when we are emotional.
The club needs to address this issue quickly.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 am

I do agree that one of the criticisms aimed at Arch that is justified is how he comes over in interviews.

No doubt, though, if Britton did them more instead (as he is much more media-friendly) the usual accusations that he runs the team would be trotted out. Or if he was much less open he'd be accused of being uncommunicative.

As in many areas he's dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:20 am

I think that the problem is that what Archie is saying is, in the interviews, not the sort of motivational talk that will get the players playing at their full potential or even above themselves nor the supporters wanting to get behind the team (or, ultimately, turn up). Not only that but, if it is also mirroring what he is says in the dressing room, it isn't exactly going to encourage players to raise themselves.

He has to say either a "On your day, you can outplay the best teams in this division. Go and show this to everyone" or a "This team is pumped full of money and Spanish players. Let's go and show them that you don't need all that".
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spot on

Post by pete mac on Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:45 am

Spot on Marc.

I thought we would have raised our game on Saturday.

We need some good old fighting talk to start getting results again.

I see the Margate manager has said he wants a clean sheet tomorrow. One to win.

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 pm

comrade powell wrote:I would agree with most of what he is saying, but why say it? Why do managers have to talk to the media minutes after a defeat? Does Archie have any advice offered by the club or people who are expert in PR about how best to convey what you want to say? What message does this give to supporters and players? To me it says we are at a huge disadvantage when facing such clubs and we can't be expected to beat them. I don't believe that and I doubt if Archie does, but we all say things we later regret when we are emotional.
The club needs to address this issue quickly.

Exactly. And I can only repeat a previous post of mine that this sort of 'gaffers guff' is completely at odds with the message that those trying to take the club forward are trying to put across. Yes, Mr Howells may be speaking plainly but this kind of stuff should be for the ears of diehards only.
I always try to be positive when talking about the club and have managed to drag a few newbies along. I seriously wonder why I bother sometimes.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top